Thursday, January 3, 2008

Selah

Music has always played a major role in my life.

I truly believe that music is a gift from God. He set the love and emotional attachment of music in the soul of mankind. In fact, the biggest book in the Bible, God's word, is a book of songs: Psalms.

Several times during the Psalms, the word "selah" appears after a stanza of thoughts. I remember studying this word in high school and it quickly became one of my favorites. It is a Hebrew word that means "stop and listen."

סלה

That resonated with me. I have always believed in my life that it is healthy and beneficial to take breaks; to stop and listen; to rest and renew; to refocus and be re-inspired. It feels so good. God's example of resting on the seventh day of creation just reaffirms this concept.

My December selah was needed and wonderful, but I am ready to get back into the game. I look forward to continuing to share my thoughts with you, and to, in turn, get caught up with your lives as well. And I encourage you to examine an area in your life that may benefit from a selah.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

What a wonderful word! Thank you for sharing. And I think we all need to selah! Thank you for reminding me.

Angela said...

Hi friend!
I am so glad that you are back!
I have missed you!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back from your rest! What a timely post for me to read as I have been feeling rested after Christmas break.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon!
I hope your family had a good break and "Selah" time. Thanks for that definition! I don't think I ever knew exactly what it meant besides that there was a pause :) What did you guys decide about getting a Christmas tree? We ended up getting a small one- just small enough to fit in the back seat of Aaron's car :)
Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way- that last comment was from Gaby! oops :p

Glory Laine said...

Welcome back my friend, welcome back!

momaof4 said...

What a great word! We have been without a computer since Christmas...I think it was Gods gift to us this year! Our own time to stop and listen to Him.

Lindsay said...

woohoo!! You're back!! :)

Happy McNally Mom said...

I'm so glad you are back. I really love reading your posts. You have an amazing gift with words. Thank you for sharing this gift with all of us. Happy New Year.

Ona said...

Glad you feel refreshed and rested. We do all need that from time to time. Can't wait to read more. Keep them coming :)

LizzyG said...

I'm so glad you're back, I have really missed you.

I know for myself, there have been times when I have had to audibly say, "do not even turn on the computer". I have found myself spending too much time checking out blogs and comments, when my time could have been spent much more wisely. I find it hard to find a balance sometimes. Ahh...moderation! Something I've always struggled with :)

Hope your Christmas was wonderful, and again, welcome back to blogworld!!!