Saturday, January 5, 2008

Turning Teen

Presently, conversation around the house revolves around party planning for Gabby's 13th birthday. It's a big one, a special one. She's turning the corner into Teenland. It needs to be a fun and memorable party for her, but we're struggling to find just the right activity for it.
.
Bowling? Done it. Skate Palace? Closed. Swimming? Done it. Movie? Nope. Mall? Last year. Snow? Too cold. Dance Dance Revolution? Over done.
.
Hmmm. Nothing seems quite right. Why is this year different than every other year?
.
Boys.
.
That's right. This year boys will be coming to the party. That's a lot of pressure for the party planner: to provide fun for all, regardless of gender.
.
So, in my quest for ideas, I tried to remember back to my own 13th birthday. For some reason, I couldn't remember it. I knew that my 12th birthday was a boy/girl party and we went to Chuck E. Cheeses in Tacoma (still a novelty back then, and quite a bit nicer than our Lan-Trash-ter one). Then the boys went home and the girls spent the night. It was fun!
.
But, alas, my 13th birthday was escaping me! What to do? Mom. Call Mom. Here was the result of that phone call:



Apparently mine was an all-girl party that year. They came over on a Friday evening and we hung out and played some games.


We "slept" in our totally party-friendly basement. I remember doing Madonna make-overs and dancing to the cassette tape of "Who's that Girl" that I'd received as a gift....much to my Mom's dismay.



Come morning, we made our way out to the AquaBarn Ranch for a little horse-riding action.


And, hence the name "AquaBarn," there was also a nifty pool!


Thanks, Mom! It all came flooding back to me. Good times.
.
And on a side note, regarding the before mentioned "Who's that Girl" soundtrack cassette: that night was the first and last that I got to listen to it. My mom took it away. But, if any of you know my mom, she saves absolutely everything. I asked her a few years back if she still had it. Madonna's short, platinum Blonde 'do now resides happily in my retro cassette collection nestled inbetween Milli Vanilli and REO Speedwagon.
.
As for Gabby's party? I think we finally decided on doing a Medieval Murder Mystery Party! I think (hope) it should be a lot of fun. Everyone will come in costume and Ben will die sometime during the evening! I'll let you know how it turns out!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Your 13th birthday party looks "totally awesome"!! I think the Medieval Murder Mystery idea sounds great, for both genders...they will love it!!! Have fun!

Glory Laine said...

You were a hot little number in that black n white striped little number. I would demand your Madonna Tape back. You could get a few bucks for it on Ebay.
My step dad took my "Color Me Bad, I want to sex you up." tape. Good call.

Sharon said...

Oh, I've the tape! : ) And my 13 yr old bff, hydrogen peroxide, helped to set off my awesomely awesome b&w suit! : )

Rachel said...

Oh the slumberparties. Oh the hairstyles. Oh the inappropriate music. Oh the memories.
Thanks for the flashback!
Good luck with the party!

Ona said...

Oh, how fun! To be thirteen again :)

Tiffany said...

Teenland. Boys. Oh my. I'm so glad I'm not the party planner...the pressure! But a Murder Mystery Party sounds awesome! Way to pull through, mom-of-to-be-teen!

Great hairdos, by the way.

My mom would have taken Madonna away from me too.

Angela said...

Looks like you had a great party!!! LOVE IT!
And seriously are you old enough to have a teenager??????

Lindsay said...

Love that you have pictures from your 13th birthday!!

The party sounds like a ton of fun to me! :)

momaof4 said...

The dinner sounds like fun! Isn't it so different then we grew up? Yet some things never change!! Can't wait to hear how it all turnes out. FUN!

Valerie of Momia said...

I'm pulling for pin the tail on the donkey followed by a few rounds of musical chairs. To round out the day, a clown pinata would be perfect. No wait. That's for Christmas. ;)

Lion Heart said...

sounds awesome! your so cool! i'm sure you guys will have a fab time!