Saturday, June 2, 2007

Music: part 1

I cannot remember a time when music was not important to me. This is an interesting and, I think, poignant fact because music was not a prominent fixture in my home as a child. My parents were not musicians. They did not sing nor did they play any instruments. The radio was usually tuned into Christian talk shows that I never understood.


My dad, at the time, had a very cool company car: a Pontiac Firebird with the enormous bird logo painted on the hood. What made the car even hotter was that it was equipped with a groovy 8-track player. I remember riding in that car with my dad listening to Simon & Garfunkel, wondering who Mrs. Robinson was.

My mom, however, was not ok with me listening to that, and quickly steered my attention toward what she deemed to be the only acceptable music for my ears to hear. Thus began my cassette tape collection of Evie, The Heritage Singers, Dino, Larnelle Harris, and, of course, Sandi Patti.


Still in elementary school, I didn't have much reason to question my mom's dictation of my listening enjoyment, until two very interesting circumstances unfolded which opened my ears outside the musical box that I was placed into: my neighboor Sonja let me listen to her new Amy Grant tape entitled "Straight Ahead," and my brother won a Michael W. Smith album (yes vinyl-the one where he's dressed in argyle) from our youth group at church.

These events were not appropriate, I was told. Amy Grant was a "fence-rider," and Michael W. Smith was "too rock-n-roll for God." I remember my mom actually saying that she wanted to "break that album over [the youth pastor's] head."

For the first time I pondered the issue of whether or not I should formulate my own opinions about such matters or if I should simply believe what my mom wanted me to believe......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what is so awesome about your story? You have definitely got God given talent. It's so neat that your parents aren't talented musically and God totally gave that to you as a gift.

I think Jordin from American Idol had the same situation in her family.

I can't wait for part two. Is there Bon Jovi involved?

Glory Laine said...

You realize you have left us in utter suspense. What did she do? Did she break tradition or has she become a total pagan? Oh how I can't wait to find out the ending.....lol (here is a clue for those of you who may not know Sharon, as I do, Relient K is playing in the background.)

Molly said...

Your dad sounds cool. Your mom, although we know she loves you, sounds hard to live up to.

God picked those two for you. He knew they were the perfect parents for you. Isn't that neat?

Would you be the strong, amazing person you are today without these expirences in your growing up years? Maybe, I wonder.

God truly does have a deep interest in all of our lives. And even though there are some choices we don't get to make...we do have the choice to follow Him.

I'm waiting to see what your mom did and how you handled this. Did you "obey" or "rebel"? I'm going with your mom put her foot down and you...um...well...I think you put your foot down too and started expanding your horizons to Amy and Micheal. Can't wait to hear more.

You are a great writer!

momaof4 said...

I remember ALL of those! Crazy.
I was only allowed to listen to the Fence Rider. My sister came home from college with Foot Loose on tape. I thought it was SO cool, and stole it to listen to. My Mom found it, and quickly gave it back to my sister, with orders that I not listen to it any more.

Hmmm, are we this protective?