Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ouch!!

POP!!

That's the noise that I and those around me heard tonight during a "just for fun" scrimmage volleyball game after coaching Greta's practice. The noise came from my right ankle.

I immediately knew that I had done something bad. I calmly stood and evaluated the situation. Can it bear weight? Very little, but I'm tough. I took a few ginger steps toward a chair as the sweet volleyball girls rushed to my aid. I stopped before the chair, realizing that my whole body was tingling and darkness was emerging all around me. I knew that the rush of God's wonderful pain killer, adrenaline, was surging through my body. I needed to sit down before I passed out. I sat, took a deep breath and waited for the adrenaline to equalize and do its intended job as I smiled to those hovering around me, explaining that it wasn't good, but I'm going to be ok.

Now, before I go on, let me just take a moment to explain something to you. When it comes to sports, I have two modes: spectator or out-for-blood. It's a problem that I have. Just yesterday, I was at Applebee's with some fellow soccer moms and the jovial conversation quickly turned to one fateful day when the coach of our then eight year old daughters had the brilliant idea to have the girls play the moms for practice. Without going into all the details, I'll just say that two of the girls were bleeding and holding never-used-in-three-years ice packs to injuries I had caused them. I was then banned from all such situations. This very character trait is the reason I am elevating my ankle at this very moment. Back to the story.

I opted to trust God's painkiller to get me home, figuring I had about 15 minutes until sheer and utter agony. My right foot was able to rest on the accelerator peddle just enough to go, but there was no way I could use that foot to brake. My left foot quickly obliged and I made it home to my wonderful husband who quickly got a bucket of ice water for me to soak my ankle. He also provided me with painkillers, blankets and pillows for elevation, then scoured the Internet for the best treatment options. I love him! Then he laughed as I asked him to fetch the camera so that I could document this for you all. Blogs.

After my first icy cold soaking session I thought I was going to die, it hurt so badly! But eventually, after two more 20 minute icings, the diversion of "Don't Forget the Lyrics," and the chocolate chip cookies Greta made for me, the throbbing pain has settled down quite a bit unless I move it in any way.

I don't think it's broken, but I am praying that this won't be a long term ailment. There's places to go and things to be done! But I also appreciate the times when God "pops" in and says, "Hey! Take a load off! Rest in me awhile. It'll be ok." I can do that.
.
So that's where I am now, praying that in three weeks, as I walk the plains in Africa, I'll be able to keep up with the rest.
.
And, by the way, I hope you all enjoy the excellent view of Freaky Toe. Yes, the second toe of my right foot is unusually short. I have come to accept and even love it. It brings flare and conversation starters whenever I wear my strappy high heels. Thank you Freaky Toe, you've been good to me.

23 comments:

Ona said...

You poor thing...glad your family took good care of you.

The freaky toe is nothing. I get made fun of my toes because they look more like fingers...long and slim.

Team Johnston said...

Ouchie...from your pictures it looks like it is sprained. Happy that your family took such good care of you. If your ankle still hurts when it is time to leave for Africa, get yourself an ankle boot, they sell them at Target, and most sporting goods stores. It offers more support then an Ace bandage.
~Danielle :)

Angela said...

Sharon you are too cute! I am so sorry you are hurting. Not fun but yes take advantage of this!
And the toe I remember the toe!!!

Anonymous said...

That's terrible! So sorry you're down for a little while. I hope you have good books to read.

And I'm glad Ben had a supply of painkillers on hand-does he have God's painkiller in pill format since he's a pastor?

I'll be praying that it heals well and you'll do fine on your trip.

Make sure to take the time to rest and let it heal-I mean it. If you don't I'll call your mom.

Julie said...

Good 'ol Freaky Toe... that was an awesome view of it!

Sorry you got hurt, but at least you made it up and off of the court!

This deserves a treat... I'll see ya at 3:00 :)

Glory Laine said...

Oh geez! (A little quote from Ralph) Between you and Krisian.... makes me want to take pain killers. And Sharon, making little girls bleed.....really you need help.

Rachel said...

Poor girl!! I hope it gets better quick...but I agree you may just I was laughing through most of your post, though. I love the soccer story...

Jen said...

Hi Sharon,

Time to introduce myself, I'm Jenny, an old friend of Becca's, and I love reading your blog. I think my husband Jeremy knows your husband Ben from back in the days of our youth pastoring in Salem at Salem Evangelical and Western Baptist stuff. I know Ben a little, thanks to the Don Nagle connection...but I don't think I've ever met you...other than hearing about you through Becca. Anyways...to my point.

Foot pain is the worst thing ever!! I have been dealing with a chronic foot issue for over a year (feel free to drop by my blog, and read about it), so I literally FEEL YOUR PAIN. Take good care of yourself and don't let it get too out of control/or ignore it, in hopes that it won't turn from an injury to a chronic condition as mine did.

Also, being in our 30's, my ortho surgeon and podiatrist said even though we're young, it can be the time that feet fall apart. Just a heads up.

I'll keep you in my prayers!! Sorry I've lurked so long without commenting! You and Liz meeting up made me realize I've been missing out! God Bless, Jenny

Sharon said...

Hi Jenny! I spied your blog the other day and absolutely loved your "UnChristian" post. I appreciate the thought provoking forum that you have there and understand the no-commenting decision. Ben remembers your husband, but, you're right, I don't think we've met. It's nice getting to know new people here in cyber space! Keep up the challenging posts, they're great! Glad you're visiting my prose~enjoy!

Happy McNally Mom said...

Oh Sharon,
I'm so sorry. Well I guess you had to go and trump my dentist post. Way to go girl.

Alida said...

Ouch. Sharon, I understand about being competative, truly I do. However, hurting yourself just to trump mcmom...well, I just think you are better off making young girls bleed. (Hey, they're young, they'll get over it!)

Take care of yourself and let your family take care of you too! Nothing better than brownies, painkillers and a husband catering to you!

Lindsay said...

OH Sharon! What a deal... hope you are feeling better and that the time of rest has been "restful" for you!
I'll be praying that it heals quickly so you can really, really enjoy Africa!
** Thanks for your comments too - they make me smile!

Molly said...

Oh, I am so sorry that had to happen. Gary had some ankle injuries during highschool and he always winces when the football players get ankle injuries.

How is it going? Are you taking good care of yourself? You do have some nice family members and friends to take good care of you, enjoy!

I love your prespective, God "poppping" by to say take a rest, so true, isn't it?

And the soccer mom story, I want to hear more...that is too funny and so you...I just love it!

LizzyG said...

Wow! You're ankle looks so swollen, but your feet look so soft and moisturized, makes me want to get a pedicure. I was bummed I missed the big showdown today, but I'm so proud of Greta! Serving overhand is such a milestone in one's volleyball career :)
Hope you're feeling better!

LizzyG said...

I meant "your" ankle, not "you're" ankle.
I made that same mistake the other day and it drove me nuts every time I would look at it!

Unknown said...

Ouch is right! So sorry you got hurt! I admire your competetive spirit, it's something that's just not in me! Hope you're feeling better for your upcoming trip.

Julie said...

Are you feeling better yet?

Just wanted you to know I like the new poll... I don't read as many blogs as you do, girl!!!

momaof4 said...

Hope your feeling better this weekend!!

I'll be praying, it heals fast and without any other things that pop up!

Valerie of Momia said...

I've been gone from blog world for several days!! I just read the PW blog and was like "what's up with the foot?". Now I know.

I'm way not competative. Well, I just started a competition with Cory. I'll have to explain it later. I'm motivated, but I'm sure not half as motivated as you would be if you were in my situation!

Yeah. I never told you that I spied your toe way back when. (Like I was going to say "Dude! That second toe of yours made me do a double take! It's so weird!". Okay, I wouldn't put it past me, either!) I must say, those pics don't give your tiny toe justice. Ya gotta see it in person! ;)

Rest up!! Really, really do. Take it easy. You DON'T want to make matters worse! Take care!!

Valerie of Momia said...

Take it or leave it:

You know what I did after my c-section? I only took enough pain killers to kill most of the pain. I wanted a little pain to remind me that I was healing and to take it easy. I needed to feel a little pain to get that natural signal from my body of "you're doing to much". I think it helped in my healing process.

Atticus Finch said...

ouch! been there and have done that a few times. as a matter of fact my right ankle is double the size of my left most likely from sprains that never had a chance to heal due to that insane competative drive not to miss the game. hope you feel better soon. keep advil in your system. will keep the swelling down. ice, ice, ice 20 minutes on. love you Finch

The Reckling Family said...

You know, right before the first trip that my husband ever went on with Mrs. Watson, he had a little softball "incident". He went to Mexico with one of those terrible boots. But, you know, God will use you RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE. He always does!

Stefanie said...

I'm way behind here - but if you are still reading your now #23 comment, I feel for ya! I slammed my thumb in the door a couple weeks ago and I thought that was bad:)!!