Monday, October 8, 2007

Human Pin Cushion

The realities of just how close I am to flying off to Uganda became perfectly clear today. I am about to go to a third world country and I got the point~literally.

Six shots in all, three in each arm.

Truth be told, I actually enjoy getting shots. I also enjoy giving blood. It's fun for me. My natural instinct is to make it into a competition. My goal is always to fill my bag of blood before the person next to me. I know, I am sick and twisted.

Isn't it great to know that God can use even us sick and twisted ones for His kingdom?! What a relief, because I don't feel that I necessarily fit the profile for the missionaries that I remember visiting my church when I was young. God wants ME! And YOU! Just how we are.

So, as I prepare to embark upon the trenches in Africa, I will have sore deltoids and a touch of yellow fever for this week, but it's nothing compared to the life conditions of those we are going to be ministering to. It's a humbling thought. There's plenty to do and still money to be raised, but I am confident that, by God's grace, it will all come together just as He planned.

And when I start to get down on myself, thinking that I'm not good enough to do this work, I simply remember the following:

Noah was a drunk
Abraham was too old
Isaac was a daydreamer
Jacob was a liar
Leah was ugly
Joseph was abused
Moses had a stuttering problem
Gideon was afraid
Samson had long hair and was a womanizer
Rahab was a prostitute
Jeremiah and Timothy were too young
David had an affair and was a murderer
Elijah was suicidal
Isaiah preached naked
Jonah ran from God
Naomi was a widow
Job went bankrupt
John the Baptist ate bugs
Peter denied Christ
The Disciples fell asleep while praying
Martha worried about everything
The Samaritan woman was divorced, more than once
Zaccheus was too small
Paul was too religious
Timothy had an ulcer
AND Lazarus was dead!

Amen!

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?”
I said, “Here I am. Send me.”

19 comments:

Ona said...

Sharon, how can you like getting shots? I heard you are pretty competetive...this proves it :)

On another note, how cool to go on a mission so far away! To make a difference...you guys are amazing!

Julie said...

Wow, six shots? That's crazy! I think I would have died... I HATE needles. But not you!

Way to go, I think you guys are going to have an awesome time, and I look forward to hearing all about it. I'm sure that it will be life changing.

Valerie of Momia said...

First off, I LOVE that list.

Second off, I thought I was weird. And then I met you! ;)

Third off, Josh likes to watch as he gets his shots. Do you?

Team Johnston said...

Coach Sharon~
Think of your shots as battle scars for Christ! This is bound to be a life changing experience for you and Ben! You guys are in our prayers as you prepare for your journey. Just remember that God is with you every step of the way!
Love,
Danielle ;)

Anonymous said...

You are so right! God uses each and every one of us, and he's preparing to use you in a big way, and with your gifts too.

I'm fine with shots and giving blood, but I just don't want to watch it happen.

The Reckling Family said...

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."
Matt. 9:36-7

Molly said...

You like shots? Wow, you are one tough girl.

I'm so excited for your upcoming trip, so excited. Jealous too, I wish I could go with you. Maybe someday? That would be awesome!

I'm praying and knowing that God is going to be glorified in all you do.

LizzyG said...

Isaiah preached naked? Wow, I never knew that!

How exciting that this trip is getting closer! I am truly happy for you, that God opened this door for you and your husband. You've got some great blog material coming up :)

Oh, and seriously, I have alway liked getting shots too.

Sharon said...

Val, yes. I do like to watch the shots, but this time I was so engaged in my conversation with the nurse that I barely even noticed I was getting them!

Erica, thank you so much for that verse! It really spoke to me.

Liz, Isaiah 20:2-4
The Lord told Isaiah son of Amoz, “Take off the burlap you have been wearing, and remove your sandals.” Isaiah did as he was told and walked around naked and barefoot.
~I'm discouraging this practice at Court Street.

Stefanie said...

You always come up with the most creative and inspirational posts! I know that this last one was more humorous than say, you're "I'm Not..." list - but it made me laugh and encouraged me at the same time. I'm saving some of these for my mom's group...

LizzyG said...

Pop up window is up and running....great idea!

I prefer the word assertive over bossy. And yes you are. And yes I am too. It's what makes us the wonderful women that we are, right? :)

Valerie of Momia said...

Leslie, you're fine with getting shots, but you'd rather give birth without pain meds than go to the dentist??? Wow!

Valerie of Momia said...

I know that some shots don't hurt at all, but others are painful for days. (Like the old tetanus shots we had to get as kids; they've since changed the serum and don't hurt.) Does the pain not bother you? I sense you have a high tolerance for pain. You so should have had your c-section without meds ;)

Angela said...

Love Love Love this post! Well the shot thing weird but okay! :)
And can I just say again how much I wish I was going with you.

LizzyG said...

Speaking of Uganda, I just read this in an old Statesman Journal article, and thought I'd share it:
Uganda is about the size of Oregon, but has a population of 30 million, more then 8 times that of this state. 1 in 7 children in Uganda die before their fifth birthday. That's hard to think about. So glad you guys are going

Rachel said...

Hi Sharon...I linked to you from Liz, and I have to say that your blog is very humbling. I admire you for being so selfless and so caring. I wish you well in your journey.
And I'd also like to say that my daugther would be in awe of your bravery. She just received 6 shots (3 in each leg) yesterday, and can hardly walk today. I would say she's not a fan of the whole thing.

Lion Heart said...

It is to crazy that you like shots! I find them un-bearable. Getting my blood drawn is worst. I'm such a baby about those things.

However I do like your list, Adam was glancing over my shoulder as I read your blog and was quite surprised that God could use such people to do the most amazing things. It was good for him to know that. I tend to forget he didn't grow up hearing about such things.

Anonymous said...

I see I copied your facial expression in my post :) I didn't even realize I did it until I clicked on your blog today. Too funny! I guess it's subliminal copying. I think I do that a lot.

Unknown said...

I love the hot pink band aids, did they let you pick??