Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Footprints on My Heart

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart."

Heather and Nolan have left footprints on my heart. A "quick visit" yesterday to their home near Seattle turned into a wonderful five hours of laughter, tears, and remembering. They are a stellar couple that I wish all of you could know personally.



Heather's brilliant smile and cozy sweatsuit hide the evidence of what her body has just undergone.

I want to thank all those who committed to pray for my friend, Heather, after her recent heart-attack and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery. She is on the road to recovery and is celebrating a new life: physically, mentally and spiritually. This recovery road will be a long one, as she is unable to lift her infant for possibly ten weeks, and even the force of opening the front door would put too much strain on her healing chest at this point. Even going up and down the stairs to her front porch proves strenuous, as the incision down the inseam of her leg is extremely soar.

(Make sure to pause the music before watching the video)



Throughout it all, though, as you can see from the video, the fruits of the Spirit remain vibrant and ripe in her life. Her main prayer concern now is for the hospital staff in which she was able to share the Good News with, especially Nurse Sherry.

Their adorable kids, Dane 6, Molly 4, Cole 2 and Jack 2 months, will be returning home with them soon, which will be a happy reunion. They enjoy dancing in the living room while Nolan entertains them with his amazing Bluegrass abilities on the guitar, banjo and mandolin.

Heather's body will heal, but the scars will remain with her forever. She chooses to see them, however, as awesome reminders of God's love for her and wonderful tools for evangelism. Amazingly as it seems, she is actually thankful for this opportunity that God has provided her.

What a wonderful example she is, and a lifelong friend. Thank you, Heather!

James 1:2-4

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

11 comments:

Julie said...

This is an emazing story! She seems like a real sweetheart, and that's so awesome that she could share her faith with those who helped her in her recovery at the hospital.

What a special gift that you could spend time with your friend... we can all take something away from this story of Heather's.

Julie said...

Sorry, I meant amazing ... ;)

Valerie of Momia said...

Your friend sounds like a really neat person. She will continue to be in my prayers along with the hospital staff she shared her faith with. WOW!!

Angela said...

This is awesome! I am so glad that you had such a great visit!

LizzyG said...

What an amazing story! I loved all of it, and I love how you mentioned nurse Sherry by name. I think it's awesome we can pray for her by name, that the Holy Spirit will keep reminding her of the words Heather spoke to her and the Christ like attitude she portrayed. Praying that nurse Sherry will be drawn to her loving Father through this. Wouldn't it be awesome if we all saw her in heaven, and we could say, "we prayed for this, that you would be here, sharing eternity with us". It gives me goosebumps!

Lion Heart said...

This is so cool! What an incredible story and is so great that your friend used her trials to reach out to others!

I was just out with my best bud Leila and we were talking about our lifes most recent trials and how much good God can bring of them. Taking part in someone coming to Christ is priceless! I'll keep the hospital staff in my prayers.
I'll keep your friend heather and her family in my prayers too as she is recovering from surgery and has 4 kids to take care of on top of that! I can barely handle my three and I haven't been through nearly as much.

Also I like the verse you shared with from James I think I will send it to my pal Leila as she faces some trials in her life right now and pray that it brings her whatever re-assurance she may need!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you were able to visit, and I'm sure your very presence brought a bright spot of sunshine for Heather that day.

I am so happy to hear she's doing well, and that by the grace of God she's living for Him.

Stefanie said...

Wow, I will remember her strength - she's obviously tapped into the Greater One - everyday when I am begrudging the ordinary trials of life. She has a wonderful outlook, attitude and I'm so glad you continue to share her story with us...

Team Johnston said...

what an amazing story! By the power of God everything is possible, Heather is an excellent example of that. I am glad you got to visit her!
~Danielle :)

AngieG said...

Thanks for letting us in on your visit. It brings the body of Christ together. What an amazing testimony.

Molly said...

Thanks for sharing this story with us. I'm gald you had a chance to meet up with her and her family. You are such a blessing in my life, I can only imagine how grateful Heather was that you took time to visit with and encourage her and her family. God's love does wonders, doesn't it?