Friday, September 21, 2007

Heather's Heart

If you knew Heather, you would certainly characterize her as a sweetheart or a kind-hearted person. Her heart is always full of love and friendship. She was my classmate and dear friend for my six years at Seattle Christian, and I treasure the memories that I have with her. Heather was the captian of our cheerleading squad and was voted "Most School Sprit" in our senior yearbook. Her amazing heart was and still is inspiring.

1992, Senior picture


Today I found out that Heather's heart betrayed her in a horrific way. As I write this, she is recovering in a Tacoma hospital, having just undergone quadruple bypass surgery. As I type those words, I still struggle in facing the reality of that fact.

Having spoken to a mutual friend today, I was told that Heather had a major heart attack on Wednesday and very nearly lost her life. She had just given birth to her fourth child one month ago, and apparently the surge of hormones released during childbirth thinned the lining of the arteries in her heart and four of them burst. This is an extremely rare occurrence, from what I understand, and the events that led to her treatment were truly miraculous.

Heather and me, Sophomore year
I am told that she is expected to make a full recovery, and I would like to ask that you lift her and her family up in prayer at this unbelievable time. It's obvious that God still has plans for her here and that her heart will now be bursting with passion and gratitude.

8 comments:

LizzyG said...

Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear this. I want you to know I did pray for Heather and her family, and I will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing her story and her beautiful face. I believe so many of your sisters in Christ will be lifting her up in prayer now. And praise God she is expected to make a full recovery! Amazing how life can change in an instant.

Glory Laine said...

What a pretty face! I too have prayed and I will continue.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will pray too. Please keep us updated on Heather's recovery. Praise God that she is alive and recovering.

The Reckling Family said...

I too, heard of this today. Heather is an amazing woman of God! Last year, when my oldest daughter was struggling with math, my sister recommended that we go and talk with Heather. It ended up to be a school-year-long tutoring relationship. Heather taught school before she and Nolan started their family. She now has 4 beautiful children ages 7 and under! And amazingly, she not only has her sanity, but is still one of the most caring, gentle and Godly women you will ever meet! We thank God for Heather and especially thank God that He answers prayer!

Stefanie said...

Sharon,

Today, you became my very first non-family commentor. What a breakthrough and a delight!

I had to check out your blog and was so impressed. You are really good at this computer stuff:)

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I wanted to comment to you, even though it is hard to know what to say at times like this.

Something on my heart tonight is that Heather's story makes three stories that I have heard in the last week, about moms of friends of mine, that have experienced tragedies directly caused by pregnancy.

I was at my sister's today and her neighbor and friend had just returned from the hospital, where she lost her baby at 21 weeks along. I am 24 weeks along in my pregnancy and her and I had compared pregnancy notes only a few weeks prior at my nephew's b-day party. Now in a blink of an eye, she is no longer pregnant and I still am. My heart is just aching for her loss.

Tonight I will be lifting up all moms out there experiencing health problems and tragedies related to pregnancy.

Thanks for sharing so we can pray!

Angela said...

I will be praying. So thankful she is expected to make a full recovery.

Julie said...

I too, am thankful that your friend is expected to make a full recovery. She sounds like a really sweet and fun lady.

Her little kids must have been frightened by all of this. Let's all make sure we pray for her children and husband, as this must be a difficult time for them.

Keep us updated!

Sharon said...

Thank you all so much for your prayers! I received this e-mail update today:

I stopped by the hospital today and was able to talk with Nolan(Heather's husband) and Jan (Heather's mom) a bit. She is still in the cardiac unit ICU, therefore no visitors other than family. Nolan said that today, they took out all of the remaining tubes and IV, and that tomorrow, she *may* be able to be transferred to a "regular" hospital room. The family is very thankful for all of the prayer support they/Heather are receiving. Their kids are staying with Nolan's brother's family, who also has young children, so he said they all think that's pretty fun ~ they don't really know what's going on (which is a good think, I believe!). We left a get well card and signed it with our names, your names and Sharon's name. Flowers are not permitted on that floor. So, all in all, things are going well for Heather. Jan told me that Heather's pastor is in Latvia on a mission trip, so people in Latvia are praying for her as well ~ prayers going up for them all around the world! Our God is good ~ He is taking such precious care of her.

~Kelli