Saturday, September 22, 2007

Riverfest

After chaperoning Gabby's concert choir retreat at Crossler today, I returned home tired. (Ben was actually adventurous enough to spend the night at it last night, sans his c-pap machine because he loves Gabby). Everything in my being wanted to relax on the couch and spend the rest of the afternoon and evening in a vegetative state.

Today, however, was the first day of Salem Riverfest. We have been looking forward to and praying for this weekend for months. Wishing I had more energy, I grabbed my sweatshirt and the four of us piled into the car as quickly as we could, arriving around 4pm.

We were all amazed at the spread! Riverfront Park was alive with thousands of people and activities, far beyond what I have ever seen there.

After walking through the kids' zone and food booths, we were stopped dead in our tracks, watching the motocross stunt dudes. Gabby honestly thought she was about to witness someone crash to their death. What they were doing was absolutely unbelievable!

Then we made our way to the main stage and caught the Jump 5 concert--which the girls loved. After Jump 5, I am proud to say that I attended my very first hip-hop concert. Grits was thoroughly entertaining (although, I think Julie would say that the music was a little "rough" for her taste!). Reid Saunders took the stage after that and proclaimed the gospel to the thousands in attendance and we watched as hundreds of people made decisions for Christ. It was awesome.

Despite the chilly weather toward the end, it was a spectacular event. And here's the good news: it happens all over again tomorrow! So Sunday afternoon, head over to Riverfront Park and check it out! Bring chairs and blankets and enjoy the activities, music and life change. I'm especially looking forward to Big Daddy Weave and Jars of Clay in the evening, and, of course, being witness to the expansion of God's kingdom. There's nothing like it.

Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

Julie said...

AMEN, sister! Yes~ Grits was totally too rough for me! Oh my word... I'm so not into that kind of music! But, Jump 5 was so fun! And Brady's face even made it onto the screen a few times!

Awesome event, I hope that everyone can make it down to the riverfront to be part of the excitement!

Angela said...

Oh I so wish we were going to be there. My parents were there yesterday and said they would be going back tonight!
Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a way cool weekend for the Lord!

I was so disappointed, we missed the whole thing. We were with my parents.

I can't wait to hear how it turns out, and how many people accepted the Lord. That's the exciting thing for sure.