Monday, July 9, 2007

Leslie, This one's for you

asphalt: any of various natural or synthetic, dark-colored, bituminous substances, composed mainly of hydrocarbon mixtures.

blacktop: a bituminous paving substance, as asphalt.

cement: any of various calcined mixtures of clay and limestone, usually mixed with water, sand and gravel to form concrete.

concrete: an artificial , stonelike building material made by mixing cement and various aggregates, as sand, gravel, or shale with water and allowing the mixture to harden.

So, it seems to me that asphalt becomes blacktop, and cement becomes concrete. Now you know.

Here's another good word:

arterial: being or constituting a main route, channel or other course of flow or access.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how vindicated I feel right now. It appears that the elders of our society are not always right :)

I am excited that I now know the meaning of arterial....I am doing a writing assignment of listing 10 new words I have learned.

Julie said...

Sharon ... thank you so much for clearing things up.

Leslie~ am I an "elder"?

momaof4 said...

Finally peace!

Valerie of Momia said...

Dude, I have no idea what this is about, but I feel so enlightend!