Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sport for thought

I love sports. I love watching and participating in all kinds of sports.


My older brother made sure that I didn't throw like a girl and that I knew how to make a lay-in. He was an all-star athlete, so I felt privileged to have had my very own private coach at my disposal.

YMCA co-ed basketball started my official sporting career at the age of eight. My main goal in those games was to run down the court faster than all the other kids on the court. I didn't get the ball much in those days. Boys.

Organized softball came to me through church, which prepared me well for high school softball. And thanks to my brother, I had one of the best outfield arms out there.

I started playing volleyball the summer before my freshman year. No one in my family had played volleyball so I had no expert coach at my disposal, but I really loved the sport and worked hard to learn the skills, going to summer volleyball camps and working at home.

Of the three sports I pursued, my middle school only offered basketball. This is when I was first introduced to the world of stats. In sports, you count everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Assists, rebounds, steals, turn-overs, shot attempts, and yes, even actual points scored. My coach, Mr. Dyck, would post all the stats in his room. By my eighth grade year I had inched my way up to the top of a few of those lists. It felt good.

In high school I enjoyed playing all three sports, one leading right into the other. I was in very good shape and having so much fun.




During volleyball season in the fall, I ate, drank and slept volleyball. My favorite team to watch was the UW Huskies. But when basketball rolled around in the winter, my allegiance quickly changed sports as well. I was in love with the Seattle Supersonics--actually in love with them. I wanted to marry Dale Ellis and have little fuzzy-headed brown babies. I did manage to get my picture with him on center court at Key Arena. That was as close as I got to matrimony. Softball would begin in the spring, as did the Mariner season. Suddenly, all I cared about watching was those boys in blue: Griffey Jr., Buhner, Martinez.

My dad helped me gain an appreciation for Nascar. My Grandpa Kulle showed me how to enjoy watching golf. My brother liked to watch tennis, so that rubbed off on me as well. I loved the Rocky movies, so even boxing was somewhat enjoyable, too.

But there was one sport that I and my entire family had deemed intolerable. We didn't even feel it worthy of the term "sport." No one in my family played it; no one in my family watched it. In fact, it was often the butt of many jokes.

Soccer.

During volleyball season, the locker room was an interesting place to be. While we volleyball girls would be singing "Straight Up," fixing the bows in each other's hair, there would be a whole other kind of breed of girl preparing in an entirely different way for their sport. They were the soccer girls. I did not understand them. They were strange and foreign to me. They were always a little dirty and rough, it seemed. It was quite a contrast to the sparkly white, bubbly volleyball team primping in front of the mirror. At the time, that was the closest I thought I'd ever get to a soccer player.

Then, I bore one.


Yes, out of my womb, came a full-fledged, souled-out soccer player. Gabby lives and breaths soccer. She started playing at age six, because her friend Lydia played. Ben and I thought, well, ok! It'll be fun for a while. At least she'll get some good exercise. Then we'll get her into a real sport.

Nothing doing. After an unsuccessful attempt at basketball (a co-ed team that actually had boys that were born holding a basketball), we realized that it was soccer all the way for our oldest daughter.

So here we are, six years later, armed with all the tools necessary to watch soccer in all seasons: three folding chairs, two enormous umbrellas, one waterproof blanket, rain pants, rain coat, gloves, boots, and the occasional dab of sunscreen. We have learned that soccer games are cancelled for NO reason. We have watched our daughter play in 38 degree rain, and 108 degree sweltering heat.

I have come to gain an appreciation for the sport, and understand the general workings of the game, but after watching my cousin (actually my first cousin once removed) play in his All-Star Little League baseball game the other night, I realized something very significant: soccer is not a very relaxing sport to watch. You see, in my cousin's baseball game, between pitches and innings, I could enjoy pleasant conversation with my family and enjoy the sunshine. It was a lovely evening. But with soccer, the clock never stops. They just keep running and kicking and running and kicking and running and kicking.

Here's my conclusion on soccer as a spectator sport: It is the sport where you ALWAYS think that something is ABOUT to happen, but NOTHING ever does. You can never relax and visit with the person next to you because inevitably you will be interrupted by a roaring "OOOOHHH!!!!" as everyone was SURE that we were about to score a goal. But no. Gabby's game on Friday is a prime example of that. After two intense 35 minute halves, we lost 0-1. One goal in that entire game. The rest was filled with "OOOHHHHH!!"

But, alas, after years of playing other sports, I have successfully morphed into a soccer mom. And I do, in fact, enjoy seeing my daughter participate in something that she loves and is good at. I can appreciate that. I do still play volleyball and softball, but I am first and foremost a soccer mom. And, amazingly, she prepares for the game much like the volleyball breed of my day: singing and primping in front of the mirror. At least I have that.

Go, Gab! You rock!

What's your favorite sports to play and watch?

11 comments:

momaof4 said...

Soccer all the way
Darren has to be playing...and soon our own boys will most likely be playing too :)

AngieG said...

I had four older brothers - you do the math. I was a tom-boy to say the least. I loved softball but also played a bit of field hockey and dabbled in track and field - shotput and discus! I too love to watch tennis. I would love to learn to golf (something I used to say was not even a sport). It's not a "sport" but something I did a lot of growing up, was dance - tap and jazz mostly. In college, I played a bit of volleyball and wished I had started sooner. I even played a lot of badmitten in college and wish I had more time for it. I love sports! I've become such a couch potato of late that it is almost painful to think of my fading abilities. I would like to get back to my "active" days.

Lara said...

You are the best soccer mom out there! You know Gabby probably better than anyone and you love seeing her happy.

I only grew up watching hockey. It was Canada's sport, eh? If you didn't watch and participate you weren't Canadian. Just kidding. = ) I liked playing sports a bit, but I mainly was a singer. AHHH!!!!

Valerie of Momia said...

I'm a spectator when it comes to sports. Actually, I'm not even much of a spectator. More of a socializer. I love to go to sporting events to socialize.

I never did play any sports! I was on the drill team in jr. high and the dance team in high school. WAIT! I was on the swim team one year. Almost forgot about that! Not any good, though. Again, I was there for social reasons!

I see Makayla's little personality coming out already. I don't know how to match them with sports, however, I can already see this-She'll be a cheerleader and captain of the debate team. Possibly class president. Maybe US president. No, pressure, though, Makayla. No pressure! ;)

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome soccer mom!! And give Gabby a big high five for me. I think it's awesome that she is so passionate about something she is gifted in.

Personally I am really lame at sports. REALLY LAME. I do like to watch football and NASCAR.

Angela said...

I am thinking my little guy is going to be all about soccer too!

Lion Heart said...

Soccer all the way. My mom actually forced me to play many years against my own will but eventually I got really good and started loving it. I did however stop playing in High School so that I could work and have my own cash flow instead. So my skills are not nearly as great as they once were but I still manage and I have even coached for the city I even plan to possibly play this fall (good way to get back in shape).
Soccer moms are brave! All the crazy weather and balls flying every where. I remember my mom got hit in the face with the ball 3 times one season! Poor thing but it didn't stop her from cheering me on at every game rain or shine or hail or whatever.
I also like softball (even though i'm no good) and I plan on taking up tennis next spring. SO cool that you like sports and that your actually good at them. I'm glad Gabby is into sports too its so important for girls to be active.

Molly said...

Gary said the same thing about soccer. He did lighten up a bit when Josiah played a few years back.

You are the best soccer mom and Gabby does rock at soccer. I love envisioning you primping for volley ball matches and Gabby doing the same.

Sports are not my thing, my mother-in-law always tells me that when it is my own kids I will learn to love them. Do you think she is right?

Watching Gabby run at her track meet was super fun. Maybe there is hope for me. But honestly, you are such an awesome mom to both your girls. Way to open your heart up to soccer.

Julie said...

Odd as it sounds ... I like to watch wrestling. Not the cheesey, yucky, Hulk Hogan kind of wrestling ... but like REAL wrestling. That was my favorite sport to cheer for as well. "We want, a pin ..."
I played soccer when I was six, then my parents thought I was having too much fun doing summersaults on the field, and picking daisies! Gabby is an AWESOME soccer girl! And you're an AWESOME soccer Mom :)

Alida said...

When we married I absolutely told Sergio two things.

1. I will not drive a minivan...ever!

2. I will not be a soccer mom!

This summer I signed the kids up for minisoccer. Yep, could the minivan be far behind? Oh dear.

Luke loves it and gets it. Isabela trips kids when she suddenly decides to stop kicking the ball and bends over to pick the flowers! It's been a joy.

Atticus Finch said...

I love to watch college and high school basketball and pro golf. I also love to play volleyball. I truly enjoy watching any sport that involves my three little athletes. There is nothing like a good T-Ball game. I am also now a converted Aunt that truly enjoys watching one of my three favorite nieces play Soccer. You are awesome Gab.