Tuesday, May 8, 2007

How Old Are We, Anyway?

I had a conversation with Gabby today that made me feel very old, so I thought I would commiserate with my blogging buddies here so that you can all chime in and explain how vibrant and youthful we all are--even if you're outright lying.

Here's how it all went down:

I was getting ready to take Gabby to Crossler today, as I do everyday. Today was her short day: just P.E. and track practice. Normally, she tells me that she will call me from her cell phone when she is finished with track so that I know what time to pick her up. She finishes at different times each day, so this makes it easier.

Today, however, she decided not to take her book bag with her since there was nothing in it that she needed. That meant that there was no place to put her cell phone, so she was just going to leave it home for the day. I asked her how I would know when to come and get her, and she explained that it was no problem because all she has to do is yell out in the locker room, "Does anyone have a cell phone??" Literally, then, everyone comes running.

I day-dreamed back into my own middle school locker room. It was then that I realized that there really wasn't such a word as "cell" to describe a phone yet. Sure there were some car phones and the such, and maybe a couple of over-sized bricks that the rich and powerful may have talked into every-so-often, but had I yelled "cell-phone" in my locker room, I think my friends would've looked at me like I was crazy.

After telling this to Gabby, she asked what it was that "everyone had" when I was in middle school. I was stumped, so she offered: "A phone in your bedroom?" Well, yes. That was a hot commodity. I remember begging my parents for years to install a phone line in my bedroom so that I didn't have to use the kitchen phone with the 20 foot cord attached to it.

Then I realized that the reason I wanted a phone line in my own room so desperately was because cordless phones weren't readily available yet. This is the point where I started to feel horrified!

I defended my youth by proclaiming that technology literally boomed overnight. These inventions began popping up and changing society almost instantaneously. We zoomed ahead light years in a matter of months, it seemed! That, I explained, is why there are so many changes between when I was in middle school and now.

To this, Gabby said, "Just keep telling yourself that, Mom."

So now, I send this plea to all of you: affirm that we are not old!

And how do I choose to send this plea? Via a devise that was not yet invented when I was in middle school.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Sharon~ I'll have to leave a comment later, after I'm done listening to my albums on the record player. ;)

Happy McNally Mom said...

Alright, I give up. If you are feeling old then I am in big trouble. You are one of the hippest (is that a word) I know. I am doomed if you are feeling old. There is no hope for me.

Alida said...

Hey Sharon,

We met at MOPs and I've been really enjoying your blog...except this one! I had a blue princess phone and an 8-track player! How old am I? (it's a rhetorical question.)

Valerie of Momia said...

Oh, yeah. I'm a little less than five years younger than you, Sharon, but I totally hear you. When drill team practice got done early (jr. high), we had to use the pay phone (20 cents) to get a hold of our parents. In high school, pagers started making their rounds, but they were mainly for drug deals. Remember when everyone had a pager? Pager. Ask Gabby if she knows what that is. Funny how one thing that's new and technologically hot can become obsolete so quickly.

(Why am I spending time putting comments on your blog when I've started one of my own- but only done one initial little blog?? Alright. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll write something on my blog.)

Anonymous said...

Oh please! Last time I checked my Swatch, we are all totally young, cool, and hip moms and women.

Lara said...

It's all perspective, right? Hey I think it is totally cool to finally be confident in our own style. When I was Gabby's age, my look was geek. = ) Now I am geek with SYLE!! = )

I miss being able to go to the pay phone and only need 20 cents!! What has happened to this world I ask?

momaof4 said...

How much are payphones these day's? Do they still have them?

Um, we had a the big box of a car phone. It took up the whole middle of the front seat. With a curly cord and all. It was SO cool. I later had my own "car phone" and my own line in my room,with my neon pink light up phone, that you could see through...yes, I am a bit of a spoiled brat!!!
That would be the youngest of the family for ya.

HappyMomma2 said...

I am glad to be "older." I think that means I am wiser and more mature. And...your still older than me!

AngieG said...

Jr. High - everyone had to have a pair of Sbicas or Candies. We wore them with our Dittos and Joe Webb shirts. We definitely called home on a pay phone (I think it was only a dime for my Jr. High days). We had live bands for every dance. (DJ? We had no clue) Every girl wanted "the Farrah" cut with wings. I think cassettes were coming in. ??? Most people had albums and few had 8-track players. So how old am I? I am young at heart!

Molly said...

I rarely think about stuff like this. Being older is fine with me. Boring, I know.

At least you are keeping up with the times. Give yourself credit. The only thing that would give your age away is your wisdom. Other than that you can pass for 20 or so. Would you like that? I wonder.

(From the friend who is waiting for the day she can wear elastic waistband polyester pants with button up sweaters everyday and no one will make fun of her.)