Sunday, November 25, 2007

Out of Africa: One Family's Story

While getting ready for our second to last festival in the camp called Opit, my eyes caught the smiling, friendly faces of a family sitting outside their mud hut home. I made my way over to greet them and they warmly accepted my hand.



The dad spoke English pretty well, so I was happy to be able to get to learn a little bit about them. Cesar, as he introduced himself, kindly invited me into their home. It was dark and smoky as they had some hot coals warming the inside of their little hut from a small cooking alcove nestled up against the right wall. Their faces beamed with joy that this foreign visitor would take the time to enter their home. A solitary pole served not only as the roof support in the center of the small, circular hut, but also as the divider of their living room and bedroom sections of the hut. A curtain divided the two halves.


Their living area



Their sleeping area



Cesar introduced me to his wife Grace, and Grace's sister, Lucy. Grace and Lucy spoke very little English, but smiled warmly when I greeted them and held their weathered hands. I will never forget their smiles. Cesar's three children were transfixed on this strange and pale outsider that had come into their presence.


I learned that Cesar and Grace's actual home was located about 5 kilometer's from this place, but they had been placed in this government enforced camp some years back to be protected from the devastating war conditions. Their two youngest children had been born in the camp in this very hut. He eagerly anticipated being able to return to his home one day soon to be able to resume the life that he had left behind.


The two potatoes that had been cooking on the coals were ready and he divided them up between his children and wife. They ate as we continued our conversation. He proudly told me of the cow he owned that he soon needed to go retrieve from the pasture before it got dark. I asked him if he had come to our festival the night before and heard the music and the good news of Jesus Christ. They had, and he told me that they were considering "getting saved tomorrow." I told them that today was the day for that! He wasn't quite sure yet, but told me they would consider that.


I asked them what he felt like they needed the most at that time. Cesar selflessly answered that he would love for his wife and sister-in-law, Lucy, to have some new clothes, as the ones they were currently wearing were all that they had and were simply falling off of them now.


Praise God, this was actually a request I could fill! I had known that I wanted to leave my clothes there for the people of Gulu, but I didn't know how to ensure that they would get into the right hands. I didn't simply want to leave them at a mass donation site for fear they'd be sold at market or hoarded by those whose need is not as great. I had prayed for an opportunity such as this. Without hesitation, I told Cesar that I would return tomorrow and bring Grace and Lucy my clothes.


Cesar looked questioningly at me and all he could manage to ask was, "Personally?"


"Yes! Personally! I, personally, will bring you, personally, some clothing for your wife and Lucy. Would that be ok?"


"No one has ever done anything like that for us," Cesar explained. "In fact, no one's really done anything for us before."


I left there with my promise that I would return to them the next afternoon with skirts and shirts for the two women. They thanked and hugged me and I left to go to the stage where the festival was ready to begin.


The following day, clothes tucked neatly away in my backpack, our vans snaked through the village and I peered out my window to the area I remembered their hut to be. Through the crowds of people, I locked eyes with two: Cesar and Grace, waiting outside the door of their humble residence. They raised their hand to me off in the distance and I matched their action. I was so excited as I exited the van and made my way through the crowd to their little hut.


They again invited my inside and Cesar introduced me to his mother, whom he had told of my promise and wanted to be here to see it for herself. I reached into my backpack and took the articles of clothing out one by one and handed them to the women. All they could do was cover their mouths and shake their heads in gratitude. It was one of the most unbelievable experiences of my life. Such a small sacrifice on my part, giving mostly clothing that had been purchased at Goodwill shortly before I came, yet such a huge gift and promised fulfilled for these dear people.

Cesar with his mom, Betty, his wife, Grace and two of their children



Cesar explained that whenever shipments of clothes or other amenities come to their village, the swarms of people staking claim to the new treasures would be so overwhelming that they usually were not able to acquire anything for themselves. He said that I will never understand what this means to them.


Hugs were given all around as I said good-bye and made my way to the stage for our last festival of the trip. As my American band sang and praised God that evening, Cesar was in the front row dancing with all his might. The smile on his face shone from ear to ear, and I am happy to report that he and his household prayed to accept Jesus as their Savior that night.


Please pray for Cesar, Grace, their three children, and Grace's sister Lucy as they continue to grow in Christ. The local pastors there at the festival were fervent in making sure these new believers got plugged in to the area churches to learn and grow long after our team is gone. That was a wonderful feeling.


That family's story is just one example of the millions of stories happening every day in that unbelievable country. I will forever be changed because of our interaction. I look forward to a great reunion with them someday.

11 comments:

Valerie of Momia said...

Incredible. That family will NEVER forget you and what you did for them. What a simple, small gift that meant so much. You showed them that you cared in a way no one else had ever. It seems so simple, and yet so foreign to them.

Keep your stories coming.

Thank you for sharing in church today!

February Jill said...

Sharon this is so awesome. I don't even know what else to say but thank you for going and serving those people. I love all of your stories.

Lindsay said...

What an amazing story!
I'm speechless... just know that your stories and photos bring me to my knees in prayer for these people.

tina said...

WOW, SHARON, THANK YOU FOR SHARING.
I AM HUMBLED.... WE ALL USUALLY HAVE CLOSETS FULL OF CLOTHES,AND SO MANY WE CANT DECIDE WHAT TO WEAR ON ANY GIVEN DAY. I will remind myself next time that i complain about not having anything to wear of this story. I will stop myself from whining and be content with what i have. I'm going to challeng myself and ask the lord for opportunitys to share with someone like this in my own cirlce of life. I know there is people in my town who need things that i can provide. thankyou for a wonderful story. tina

Team Johnston said...

Thank you for sharing in church today. My in-laws said that it was such an inspiration to hear you and Ben give first hand testimony of what it really was like and how it changed you. Keep the stories coming!
~Danielle :)

Glory Laine said...

I just LOVED the service today. I sat next to a frist time visitor and she cried the whole time. It was just soooo touching. I loved the drama. Fantastic.

Ona said...

Todays testimony just touched me as well as others. I couldn't wait for Dave to get home and tell him "we're saving money so we can go on the next mission trip".

Molly said...

God moments are the best. I call them faith building expirences. Once you have one, you are more willing to step out to have another. It's always a win-win.

I love the pictures and the way you write. It reveals your heart and that is special.

How I wish I could have been at Court Street yesterday to hear more about it. My heart was there with you. Hugs to you.

Angela said...

This is just amazing Sharon!!! I am so glad that you had this opportunity and God placed you right where he wanted you to be!

Lion Heart said...

sweet story sharon! i thoroughly enjoyed yours and bens testimony this last sunday!
this is so touching. i should be so much more grateful for all god has blessed me with.
your incredible for taking on such a tremendous task!
i'm sure you left an everlasting impression on the people of uganda especially this family!
i hope that someday you'll fins your self in company with these good people once again!

Lara said...

What an awesome story Sharon. And that God answered a very personal longing of yours to give your clothes to someone who really would need them. Thank you for sharing these stories. I hope you and Ben will get to go back. I can tell your hearts are still there and will always be to some extent. So cool.