Friday, November 9, 2007

Hello from Gulu!

Hi girls! I actually had time this morning to be able to read all of your awesome comments and prayers that you have left for me! I can't tell you how appreciated you all are! I feel like you are all here with me and I can't tell you how grateful and filled up that makes me feel!

It is 9am on Saturday here in Uganda, 10pm Friday night for you all. I am in downtown Gulu at an internet cafe and the sun is shining down. What's awesome, is that the Son is also shining down in all His glory!

Jesus is doing a mighty work here! The people are so thirsty for the Living Water. It is awesome to be able to dig a well for them to fulfill their physical thirst, while at the same time fulfilling their spiritual thirst.

They are a joyful people. They have nothing, yet beam with joy because of what Jesus has done for them. And those that have not yet heard about the Good News are so eager and receptive to it. I've never seen anything like it. The villages that we travel to each day are so remote, literally in the middle of the deep bush, these words are brand-new to them.

We have festivals (crusades) every night at different locations. They are quite an undertaking. Usually we start with a puppet show which the kids just love! We have a full puppet team and they have a set that they construct every day. Then the African choir sings for about 45 minutes. They are phenomenal! That draws people in from all over the village. I, then, take the stage with my worship band and sing some American worship songs. In the camps with lots of children~which is really all of them~I've taught them some interactive kids songs like, "If you're happy and you know it clap you hands." They've really liked that. Then we've sung other songs like "Trading my Sorrows"~they love the "Yes Lord Yes Lord" part and we just jump up and down during that~and "Shout to the Lord" and "Everlasting God" and many more. I usually have the African choir stay up on stage behind me because they know many of our songs and they can dance and really help the atmosphere.

After my worship time, we have someone from our team share their testimony, then we always have a very powerful drama. Those are just awesome. They're set to music and use no words~all pantomime. They're very moving and the people are just glued to them. That sets the stage for Reid to come and preach the word. At his altar calls, I am under the stage playing "Come Just as You Are" on the keyboard as hundreds are praying to accept Christ for the first time. The rest of the team is out praying with the people. It is the most powerful thing I have ever experienced.

The kids at these displacement camps (an effect of the years of war) are just eager to be touched and smiled at. They hover around you and just hold out their hand for me to touch them. Their clothes hang on their bodies like ripped rags. I grab their hand, offer a smile and a hello and they smile and look down at the ground, so shyly. They are simply beautiful.

There are so many stories to tell that I will have to save for my return, like of my new friend Tony, a Ugandan social worker who helps us each day, who was captured by cannibals and was "almost served as a dish," when he was eleven, and Agnus, a member of the African choir, who has virtually nothing, yet bought me a necklace as a gift to bless me.

The love and generosity of these people is amazing and inspiring. I will never forget my time here. My favorite Echoli song that I have learned is "Wa bi ne no deyo pa Rot" which means "We shall see the glory of God!" It is just awesome to hear it sung by crowds of hundreds!

Thanks for your prayers~keep them coming so that our team can finish strong!

25 comments:

Hosmerita said...

How amazing is it that you can sit a world away and post a blog. You and God are doing fantastic things there Sharon. I pray for you safe return.

HappyMomma2 said...

It is such an amazing feeling to hear your words from Uganda! What an emotional ride you must be on. Keep going Sharon, keep singing, keep touching the lives God wants you to touch!

LizzyG said...

This was amazing! I loved reading every word, and actually have tears in my eyes right now. Thank you so much for posting this...I'm still praying for you.

Team Johnston said...

This is so amazing what God is doing through you Sharon! Keep strong and know that we are praying for your safe return here at home. I can't wait to hear about all the wonderful stories you will have to share when you get back! God Bless!
~Danielle :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I'm so glad to hear a little from you, what a welcome surprise when I clicked through to your blog today.

We'll keep on praying, as God does his work in Uganda.

This absolutely made my day.

Ona said...

Truly amazing!!! Reading this just inspires me more to someday go on a mission. I hope someday to have the opportunity to make a difference in someones life. I'm glad God is working wonders over there. Cant wait to here more. Have a safe return.

Glory Laine said...

What a wonderful blessing to hear an early account of your journey. So Amazing. I love that I have a few names that I can pray for now. I wish I was there to hug and love some kids.

Glory Laine said...

What a wonderful blessing to hear an early account of your journey. So Amazing. I love that I have a few names that I can pray for now. I wish I was there to hug and love some kids.

AngieG said...

Thanks for the great post. God is so good.

AngieG said...

Thanks for the great post. God is so good.

Lion Heart said...

sHARON i HAD NO IDEA YOU HAD POSTED SOMETHING BUT i CAME TO CHECK OUT YOUR BLOG JUST IMAGINING YOU WERE BACK ALREADY! AND TO MY EXCITEMENT THERE WAS SOMETHING TO READ!
I'M SO GRATEFUL THAT YOU FOUNF TIME OT SHARE THIS WITH US! IT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES! I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT ITS LIKE OVER THERE A WORLD AWAY!
I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! YOUR SO AMAZING TO HAVE STEPPED OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE A BIT AND HELP LEAD A MISSION! THANKS FOR LETTING GOD WORK WONDERS THROUGH YOU! STILL PRAYING FOR YOU GUYS! CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR RETURN!

Valerie of Momia said...

Incredible! Thanks for sharing.

Happy McNally Mom said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!

Stefanie said...

It's just amazing Sharon - part of you will never leave there. I will keep praying for your energy and safe return. I so wish I could hear you and them worshipping together.

Julie said...

What a great surprise to open up your blog and see a new post!

So glad it's going well... I can just picture the little children, and all the others during the worship time... can hardly wait to see pictures.

Praise God for what is happening over in Uganda right now!!

I miss you!

Atticus Finch said...

So grateful to hear these words. We have prayed your time in Uganda would be so blessed. We thank God for His work through all of you. Miss you and can't wait to hear about everything. Love you bunches your sister.

Atticus Finch said...

please hug so many children for me.

Atticus Finch said...

HI again, I told Elijah what you said in your post. He was in the bath and I was getting ready, he sat there for a few minutes and then said, "Mom, I would give anything to see those kids' smiling faces." Someday. So tears again for me, give lots of hugs for Elijah too.

Sharon said...

Hi! I'm in Amsterdam again!

I'm super tired, super dirty, super ready to be home and super overwhelmed at what God did in Africa and everything I saw! Can't wait to fill you all in more!

Team Johnston said...

Praying for a safe journey home! :) A part of you will remain in Africa for all the wonderful things you did there and all the lives you touched! You are such a blessing Sharon! Can't wait to hear your stories!
~Danielle :)

Julie said...

Hey, you! You're getting closer to home! I'll bet the girls are so excited to see you!

What an amaxing trip you have taken! No matter how awesome it has been, there is nothing better than being HOME with your family!

Can't wait to see you!

Angela said...

All I can say is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Your counter says you are home! Praise the Lord.

I am dying to hear and read more about your trip.

Team Johnston said...

Welcome Home Sharon! Praise the Lord. You truly are an inspiration!
Can't wait to hear about your trip!
~Danielle :)

Julie said...

I'll bet you and Ben will be snoozing the day away today! Jet-lag is so tough!

So glad you're home :)