Friday, October 19, 2007

Shopping Your Closet

I need skirts! Long, baggy skirts!


In Africa, I will not be allowed to wear pants. The thigh area of a woman is considered taboo and needs to be hidden. My problem is that I do not own any skirts or dresses that would be appropriate. The two skirts that I have (and rarely wear), are neither long nor baggy.

So before I go out and buy several skirts to bring with me on this trip, I thought I'd try to raid your closets first! Does anybody out there have skirts that match this description hanging unused in the far reaches of your wardrobe? They may or may not be returned to you, as they encourage us to leave as many clothes behind for the Ugandans to keep.

Let me know in the next couple of days, as I will be heading out to Goodwill and Ross Dress for Less in the very near future to find some good buys on skirts that I will probably never wear again.

To explain, in case you were wondering, I have a bit of an aversion to skirts, dresses and, of course, the dreaded set of hose, because from middle school through college, if I wasn't on the court or on the field, I was singing somewhere. And back in those days, my singing career meant wearing shoulder-padded dresses, shiny nylons and high-heels. The high-heels stuck with me, but I will never-ever again wear nylons, and very rarely wear dresses or skirts. Praise God for grace when it comes to "Sunday Best" attire!

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me! And remember, I'm 5'10'' with a little junk in the trunk, if you know what I'm sayin'!

7 comments:

Julie said...

Sorry, but this 5'3" girl (with heels on) will be of no help to you! I will offer to come with you to Goodwill and such... any kind of shopping, I'm in!!

I'm getting excited for your trip! I wonder how the food will be??

Stefanie said...

I'll check Sharon - but nothing I own looks quite like your pic. More straight lined, primary teacher kinda skirts:). If I find anything I will send it home with Becca when she comes for dinner on Sunday.

PS - I've never actually heard the song, but Mike taught this line to Daphne:
"Watcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk up in that trunk?"
Nice, huh?!

Angela said...

I sure wish I could help you. I am quite a bit shorter than you and I am not much of a skirt person either.
I will be praying you find some sweet deals!

The Reckling Family said...

Do you remember Ensemble - it would have been your Jr. year (my Sr. yr) those bright pink dresses with the HUGE shoulder pads?? ICK!

Anonymous said...

Sorry my friend. I own exactly 0 skirts and dresses. This is much to Morgan's chagrin-she is always asking why I don't wear dresses. I don't even own any nylons or tights....

I'll bet Goodwill will have just the right stuff. My friend Krista, a diehard Goodwill fan, tells me that every day a certain colored tag is 50% off.

P.S. Do you have room for me in your suitcase? I want to go with you.

LizzyG said...

Well this just goes to show you what cool friends you have...none of us have long, frilly, baggy skirts. Hmm.....maybe because we all ROCK and have good taste!

In all seriousness, I just scoured my closet, and nada. But if I'm out shopping in the next few days I will look around for you. And then maybe I will have to hand deliver it to you over a couple of lattes at Starbuck's!

Valerie of Momia said...

I might have something. I'll look in my closet. Probably won't fit, though. I'm 5'3 1/2" and those skirts would have been from my mission trip days. Back in the day of size 3. (But, they probably have elastic waists. I'll bring them tomorrow if I find anything halfway promising!)