Monday, July 30, 2007

Another year in the books

Every year I return from camp thanking God for the opportunity to serve there. He always provides me with solid evidence as to why I was intended to be there. It seems that each year has a different purpose. Sometimes there is a particular girl whom I really connect to and I can speak into her life. Other times there has been a staff member who needed some counsel or encouragement. And yet other times, God seems to be mostly working on me.


This was one of those "me" years.

The "personal growth" years at camp are the most trying. It's so much easier to focus on helping others than learning a personal lesson. But God's plans are always the best plans. No matter how many times I return to Camp Cherith, I have come to realize that there will always be variances and curve balls, and I can never sit back on my heels thinking that I've got it all under control. I must rely on God's power each and every time. That's where He wants us to be.

I am thankful that I am returning from camp a different person than when I left. God is certainly not finished with me yet, just as He is working on all of us. He continues to chisel away and carve us into the image of His Son.

Thank you, God! And thank you, Camp Cherith, for being a vessel.
Here's a picture of the high school girls in my cabin.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I love the new look!
2. Your slide show rocks.
3. I get what you are saying. I feel the same way, it is difficult when God is working on us, but as you know, there is always a sweet reward at the end. God always takes us through the trying times for a reason, and He does it for our benefit. God cares for us through each of these phases, and it is so special sometimes to just cling to Him for dear life.
4. I will call you tomorrow!

Molly said...

Your my hero in this area. I wish I could do what you do. I know be thankful for who I am, but this is super neat. Taking time for these young lives means everything. Way to go Sharon. Thanks God for sprinking in time for Sharon to grow as well.

Looks like a great bunch of girls. Somehow I imagine these girls seeking Gabby out to tell her what a way cool mom she has. I can the smirk on her face saying, "ya, I know". Keep being you Sharon, I love you for it.

Julie said...

I think it's awesome that you have the ability and the courage to be a counselor ...not everybody can do that! You are really good at it, too!
BUT~ I have to admit that I did really miss you while you were gone. Maybe God was working on ME in that way ... making me thankful for having such a great friend, someone that I can just call or see when I need to.
Thank you, God. Thank you for using Sharon for Your glory at Camp Cherith, and thank you for blessing me with a wonderful friend.

Angela said...

So glad that you had a great time! Love Love Love the slide show!

Atticus Finch said...

Love the slide show. Working with kids can really reveal our own weaknesses but what a great opportunity for God to work all around. I feel the same about Young Life.

Lion Heart said...

love the slide show as well it looks so much cooler that way!
it sounds like being a camp councelor is a pretty amazing experience its so neat that you take something different from it every year!

Team Johnston said...

Like the new look! Sounds like you had an awesome time at camp! I'm sure Ben is glad to have you guys home again. On Sunday he was commenting that he was an orphan all alone at home! :)
-Danielle :)