Friday, May 16, 2008

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

Hello. My name is Sharon.

After I graduated high school in 1992, I took advantage of a music scholarship to Azusa Pacific University near Los Angeles, where I attended and studied music for two years.

I then transferred to San Diego State University where I received my degree in marine biology in 1996.

There was little difficulty getting hired on at Sea World San Diego as a killer whale trainer, since I had interned there during my senior year.

The man of my dreams entered into my life while attending SDSU, and we eventually married in December of 1997.

Our first child, a son, was born on February 29, 2000, followed by our daughter, born in 2003.

My work schedule lent itself fabulously to being a mom and actively participating in the worship team at church.

Life was perfect and sunny all year round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was the script of my life that I had written early in high school.

How fortunate I am that the words of Proverbs 19:21 have proven so true:

"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

As I have studied the life of Paul with my Bible study group for the past couple of months, I am amazed at how often Paul's plans didn't turn out as he had anticipated, yet the purpose that God had for him always proved greater.

That resonates with me.

As I look at the path that God has led me down, oh so far away from Sea World, I rejoice and find contentment in knowing that I am fulfilling God's purpose for my life.

I am striving to live the words that Paul says in Philippians 4:12, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation."

Contentment can be allusive for some. When expectations are not met or when plans go awry or we fall into the trap of comparing ourselves with others, it is easy to find oneself discontented.

However, when our focus is on the core of fulfilling God's purpose in our lives and striving to be in His will, we can't help but find contentment in whatever we find ourselves doing. That does not mean our path will be easy, as Paul could surely attest to--having been whipped within an inch of his life five times, beaten with rods three times, stoned once, and shipwrecked three times.

I have not been whipped or beaten, but there were definitely times where I was less than content with the turn my life had taken. Contentment is not an inherited trait, it is a learned trait.

And a rare gem, at that.

I pray that you are finding contentment where you are--not complacency--but contentment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you said that contentment is a learned trait. That is so very true. I will think of that often, during the times that I am less than content.

Thanks for sharing this.

Lindsay said...

contentment.
something to strive for, something to pray for, something to actively practice.

wowsers. this has to be one of my very favorite posts written by you. it shows your soul & your heart's desire.

may you continue to radiate contenment as God works in ways only He can.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh Sharon ~ that life script was to die for.... too fun! and your insights... well.... all I can say is tru dat sista! My experience has been that it is precisely in the death of my dreams that I have found serious and real intimacy with my Jesus. Ah sweet contentment! Love this post! You're on fire girlfriend! Much love and respect, Lori E.

Lion Heart said...

Aw, what sweet comments you have had so far. Makes it hard to compete. I agree with them all.

I have really enjoyed our time studying Paul's life. only 1 more week left. I know I'll walk away a bit wiser. Thanks for dedicating your time and leading us in a small group :D you rock!

Angela said...

This post it awesome!

It is so amazing what we think we want is not what we are going to get, but in the midst of everything what we get is perfect whether we realize it or not.

Love you Sharon!!!

Molly said...

Thanks for sharing your heart on this. I can relate to what you are saying.

When I look back on my life, it sure hasn't turned out the way I would have thought. But I'm okay with that, because I have chosen to let God have His way.
Contentment, it's hard to have, yet I can't seem to really live without it.