Monday, April 16, 2007

What's in a Name?

Entering the world of "The Blog" is quite an interesting and somewhat scary move. Have I just added "Blogger" to my list of titles which includes: wife, mother, daughter, teacher, cook, maid, launderer, worship leader, camp counselor, nurse, dog trainer, friend, singer, thrill-ride seeker, aunt, athlete, and expert sleeper-inner?

It begs the question: What's in a name, anyway? Am I simply a mom? a home-school teacher? a one-week-a-year camp counselor? a second-string worship leader? a Neosporin-armed child's nurse? a brand-new blogger?

Hopefully, if you choose to be a reader of this particular blog, you will find out that I am actually none of those things independently. I am simply a child of God, trying to live the way He intends for me, using the gifts He has given to me, often failing miserably, but also enjoying so many of the opportunities He affords me.

So, as I blindly feel my way through learning about this blogging business, I look forward to sharing bits of my life and learning a little more about myself in the process.

So, what's in a name? I was never one for exploring the meanings of names, but my name is Sharon, and I've been told it means "Princess." What in the world does that mean? I didn't even make the top ten in the Washington State Pre-Teen pageant in 1986~dreadful...not that I lost, but that my mom entered me in it in the first place. I think she somehow wanted to see that I lived up to my name. Sorry, Mom. I do know, however, that God sees me as more than a princess, and that is good enough for me!

Now, how about the name "Prose of Sharon"? Anyone get it? I truly feel that naming this blog was more difficult than naming my two children--the pressure! "Be witty & clever. Be interesting & funny. Be unique," I told myself. Share Share? No. Sharing with Sharon? A bigger no. Ruth's Writings. It was getting worse.

Then my inspiration hit: Rose of Sharon. That was my mom's real inspiration for my name. It's from Song of Solomon~the love book! So, how do I incorporate that? I know, Rows of Sharon. Maybe, but a stretch. Oh! I've got it! Throes of Sharon. Yes! I excitedly started to set up my new little blog: Throes of Sharon. I thought, "How clever of me." I was very proud. Until I went to church.

Tall Paul, that's what I call him, was on the worship team with me this past Sunday. I knew he would be the perfect person for me to run this by. I explained how unbelievably witty I was. How it was a play on words: Sharon goes through the throes of life. Perfect. Tall Paul then informs me that throes actually means a painful struggle, and it is usually associated with the phrase, "...and they succumbed to the throes of passion, and consequently had to get married."

Back to square one.

"What do I do, Tall Paul?" I then placed the task upon him to name my new blog before we left on Sunday.

Tall Paul. I have to give him the credit for my blog's name. As the whole worship team sat eating our King Donuts, he introvertedly said "Prose of Sharon." After running to the Webster's dictionary in my husband's office, I affirmed that, yes, that is the perfect name! Thank you, Tall Paul.

I am curious. What does your name mean?

14 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Will I get this comment written to be the frist comment leaver???? Yeah Sharon, Great fist post and clever name. I'm putting you on my favorites and expecting more words of wisdom soon.....

Glory Laine said...

Will I get this comment written to be the frist comment leaver???? Yeah Sharon, Great fist post and clever name. I'm putting you on my favorites and expecting more words of wisdom soon.....

Glory Laine said...

Wow somehow that posted twice...Cool. now this one makes three.....very cool. Your off to a good start.

Valerie of Momia said...

Hi there, Sharon. Congrats on your birth to the world of blogging...or something like that. My name means strong (as in valor). Stong. Hmmm. Makes me wonder. Does my minddle name (Ann) mean "willed"?? ;)

Lara said...

How awesome Sharon! Are you going to let Tall Paul read your blog? = ) I really excited to hear more about your life and thoughts. My name means famous one or crowned with Laurels. Anyway, not there yet. he he. Thanks for sharing your friendship with us.

momaof4 said...

I LOVE the music! It has been playing the whole time I have made dinner (PB&J) Thank you for sharing and I look forward to many more.

*Pure One

Anonymous said...

yayy, i love it! you're a great writer- easy to read and good grammar, i appreciate that! :] and my name means truthful one. just kidding it doesn't. no really, it does, it really does.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! You are a fabulous writer and I am looking forward to reading more Prose of Sharon. Thanks for sharing it with me.

I have no idea what my name means. It probably means 'crazy one' or something bad :)

HappyMomma2 said...

Sharon-great job starting your own blog. Abby means "My Fathers Joy," WOW, thats not any pressure on me or anything.

Glory Laine said...

nice music :-)


-matt

Molly said...

I am so glad to see you around these neck of the woods. Getting to know you has be a blessing and now I get more! (Yes, yes I am such a glutton when it comes to getting to know all sides of my friends.)

Have fun, don't be too scared, we all love you and think your awesome. Share whatever your heart wants to.

Meaning of my name? Well, the meaning of my name explains why I went to great lengths to give my children names with good meanings. Molly means bitterness. My middle name means God increases. Gee what does all that mean?

Happy McNally Mom said...

Thank you so much for allowing me to read your blog. You are the BOMB girl. I have no idea what my name means, but I am sure it is something really good.

AngieG said...

I finally got to you. Everytime I tried to get to your blog from comments on mine - I got nothing. Anyone know why? I came to you through the "back door" (another person's blog) and I am so glad. LOVED your first entry and will love reading them all! (PILE is great)
My name means "messenger of God" so I bring you glad tidings!

Jen T. said...

Hello Sharon! When I first heard, "Prose of Sharon", I instantly thought of a song we sing in church. Here are some of the lyrics. Perhaps you'll recognize it:

You are now my peace...
Comforter and friend...
Wonderful so beautiful you are to me...
CHORUS:
I worship You in spirit and in truth...
There will never be a friend so dear to me as You.

There is the phrase, "Rose of Sharon, rare and sweet" in the song...but I forgot where exactly that fits in the whole...
I love the song, though, and I think of you every time I sing it!

(This is Erica's sister, btw)